About Me

My photo
Hi. Yes - my name IS Rokas and NO, you can't leave...

Thursday 8 March 2012

Time for some history ! 3D Studio Max or "Uni time"

Hello everyone ! It's been a while since my last post. As I said I will do the second part of the "Time for some history !". So here it is.


Whoever is reading my blog already knows that I started off modelling from Cinema 4D. However after I got accepted to the University I started learning Autodesk 3D Studio Max. At first I hated it. But now I love it ! OK, so here is my first 3D model on 3D Studio Max and my first car model ever: 


I did this Mustang while watching a tutorial "Automotive Modelling in 3Ds Max" by Digital-Tutors. This went quite well and I started to get the hang of 3D Studio Max UI and tools. Then, at the very beginning of my Computer Games course at Uni I made this:


This was a fun project to work on. Did it after looking at some of Josh Nizzi's art and a tutorial on Designing Robots. This project was also my last casual 3D modelling project of 2010. 


That's because I had so much other stuff to do. For instance I had to model a 64' Aston Mini Cooper for one of my units: 



This is not the model I submitted to my lecturer. This is an amped version of it. You can probably see the Giant V-12 engine with a massive Supercharger that is keeping the hood open. The proportions might not be right but at least it looks cool. After I modelled this, some people noticed me and I was invited to work on an independent feature length CG film called "Stina & The Wolf". I saw it as an excellent opportunity to improve my skills, learn something new, meet cool people that share similar interests and gain some valuable stuff for my CV. To this day I am not sorry of joining the team and I am happy I learned a lot of new thing. I might talk more about my role in the team in later posts.

After the new year I had some time during the exam period. So I did this:                                            
This, ladies and gentlemen, is a Combustible Lemon Launcher. You might have heard Cave Johnson talking about Combustible Lemons in the game "Portal 2" by Valve. 

The concept for this CLL was made by forte-girl7 .

After my first year in Uni I improved a lot. I started keeping my mesh clean, keeping tidy topology, UVW mapping, texturing and a lot more. Well for now I guess it should be enough. I'll post some pictures of the models I make for the game I am working on and perhaps I will think of any other stuff to show you guys. 


Peace out !!

Rokas

10 comments:

  1. these are awesome, which do you prefer C4D or 3DS? also what program was used to make the youtube video? awesome stuff and keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer 3D Studio Max, now that I can use it without any problem, however C4D has it's advantages. About the video. Don't know really, not my video.

      Delete
  2. This is really cool, and a very nice video if I do say so myself. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but the video is not mine. I just found it on youtube.

      Delete
  3. I tried learning 3DS Max once. I raged and shut the computer down because I couldn't do it.

    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I had my moments with Max as well. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. great post man, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work you did, you gotta go far kid :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff man, especially loved the Mustang!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When life gives you combustible lemons...

    ReplyDelete